Monday, April 18, 2011

Marion Smith's Special Needs Orphan Charity Drive

A couple of weeks ago I was surfing on Youtube, when I happened to stumble on a video that was favorited by one of my subscriptions. It was a video that Marion Smith, who is apieceofcraftdotcom on YT, had posted asking the scrapbooking community for help in creating these 4x4" chipboard tiles which would then be put together and auctioned off. The goal is to raise enough money to get at least one special needs orphan adopted. Click here for the deets on this really amazing charity drive. 
No, question about it, I knew I was in. If I could contribute to someone's life in a positive way, which requires me to share my passion, then you know I'd be all over it in a heart beat. 
The challenge was to create a collage like 4x4" chipboard tile, theme: "vintage" and it must have some dimension. I decided to do 3 tiles because I totally believe that 3 times the charm ;) and this is what I came up with.

 
Supplies used:
- All the papers and tags I used were from the G45 "Curtain Call" collection (one of my absolute favs!) which I distressed with my Tim Holtz distress tool and edged with Walnut Stain distress ink (also a fav!!), and Adirondack paint dabber in Espresso
-Tim Holtz Idea-ology Locket and Keys
-For added dimension I used Tim Holtz tattered florals die to create the kraft cardstock flower that the Lock is sitting upon.
-Black lace from my stash
-Prima trim
-Recollections mulberry baby roses
-Black Prima Say it in Crystals bling




 
For my second tile, I sort of kept with the same theme, (I heart Tim Holtz :P), and created this vintage looking tile with a little bit of grunge. The supplies I used were:
-DSP from TPC Studios "Grandma's Attic Reflections" which I also distressed with my Tim Holtz distress tool and inked up all the edges with my Adirondack paint dabber in Espresso.
-I stamped and black embossed the clock on the corner using Tim Holtz clear stamp "Life's Possibilities", and I also stamped the sentiment on kraft cardstock from the same stamp set.
-Tim Holtz Typecharms
-some chain that I found lying around bahaha.
-Butterfly chipboard die cut I received from Kathy who is canadianscrappergirl on YT. (Thanks Kathy!!!) Check out that texture on that butterfly!! This is one of my favorite techniques that I learned from Marion Smith a looong looong time ago on her YT channel. Check it out here.
-pearl trim for the butterfly's body

For my third tile, I wanted to do something more different. So I went with lighter colors and a more romantic feel if that even makes sense! LOL! The recipe is as follows:
-DSP from Tim Coffey's "Blossomwood" by K&Co, which are surprise, surprise, distressed and edged with my Espresso paint dabber
-The postcard in the corner as well as the picture of the girl in the frame are from a die cut set by K&Co. "Life's Journey"
-I used my Sizzix die called "Frames Stamp Combo" for the frame. For some texture I used the Tim Holtz distress crackle paint in tarnished brass, and let it air dry. 
-butterfly charm I found @ my local Dollarama
-a Tim Holtz Muse token stringed to some jute twine.
-I created my own accordian style rosette using DSP by the same collection used. I cut the 2 pieces of the DSP at 3/4" by 6" and scored both pieces every 1/4". Then proceeded to fold it accordian style and hot glued the ends together on both sides to create what looks like a crimped up circle. I used a piece of scrap paper to punch out a 1" circle for the base of the flower. Working quickly, I pushed in the accordian circle which creates that rosette shape and hot glued (gotta love my hot glue gun!!) the base to the center of the rosette, which BTW, is the bottom of the rosette. Now to finish off the top, I hot glued a Recollections baby rose and distressed the entire thing with some Walnut Stain distress ink. I really hope that all made some sense. :S




 
Phew!! That was a mouth full!! LOL! I am really happy with how this turned out, and I am eager to get these sent out! Thanks for stopping by!!

Happy Scrapping!!
-Haz

No comments:

Post a Comment